Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Three of my favourite parts of Sydney


I live on the outskirts of Sydney and don’t visit the city very often, but when I do go for a day out, I have to go to see three things.


I love the Opera House; there is just something about it that makes me realize that I am finally where I wanted to be for so long. When I first thought of coming to this country I was sitting in my English class in tenth grade. Our teacher made learning English interesting by introducing different English speaking countries and we discussed Australia for a couple of month. She brought in pictures of the Australian landscapes and we talked about the flora and fauna of the country. The Opera House was one of the things I really needed to see…



Ten years later I found my self getting off an airplane in Sydney. And though it took two weeks before I got to see the Opera House I immediately fell in love with it. My first glimpse was when I drove over the Harbour Bridge to meet the family I was working for. I only saw the tip of the structure but the light reflecting of the building reminded me of the beauty of glistening water. Now every time I see the Opera House I have that feeling of “wow - I made it”. And even though it has been seven years now since I first came here I still feel that way.



My next favourite spot in Sydney city is the Botanic Gardens, they are located right next to the Opera House and go for acres and acres of neatly pruned hedges, tropical plants, odd looking trees and the best view of the surrounding waters. The masses of plants and flowers astonish me every time I go. Not to mention the endless numbers of flying foxes that hang in the trees having a well deserved rest. One of my favourite spots within the Botanic Gardens is the Succulent and Cacti gardens. Jamie Durie a famous Australian landscaper has put up a structure of thick iron sheets to make this gorgeous garden patch. It has the feeling of the Australian outback and reflects the shear beauty of this dry country.



Number three of my favourite things to visit in Sydney city is The Rocks. The hustle and bustle at this historic place makes me feel alive every time I go. You can visit the Rocks markets on the weekends, where you can find hand crafted Australian products. It is known for its charm and good restaurants. You can even go and climb the harbour Bridge from here and see the Opera House in a different angle. Visit all the little boutique shops and spoil yourself with a good cup of coffee.



Next time I will visit the city, I will go to Darling Harbour and tell you about that, it is another must see in Sydney and packed with entertainment.


If you are not living in Sydney I can only encourage you to come for a visit, it is by far the most beautiful city I have ever lived in.


No comments:

Post a Comment